Closing in on a quarter-century in practice, Attorney Ruth Degnan has championed the cause of victims from all walks of life with a combination of inimitable skill and compassion. Her unwavering dedication and tireless efforts have secured numerous multi-million dollar results and earned her recognition for excellence as a trial lawyer. She has been recognized for having garnered the largest settlement in Illinois on behalf of a victim of psychiatric negligence.
A lawyer for nearly 20 years, Ruth M. Degnan has dedicated her professional career to the representation of personal injury victims and to the families and survivors of victims of wrongful death. Ms. Degnan has obtained verdicts and settlements in excess of a million dollars. She is a recipient of the JVR Award for Trial Lawyer Excellence as result of her involvement in a case which resulted in the largest settlement of a psychiatric malpractice case in Illinois. Ms. Degnan concentrates her practice the representation of clients injured through medical negligence, product liability, automobile negligence and other personal injuries.
- Illinois, 1993
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent College of Law, Chicago, Illinois
J.D. - 1993
University of Wisconsin-Madison
B.A. - 1990
- Work-Life Balance? The Answer is . . . Options, Women in Law, 24-26, 2007
- Prior and Subsequent Injury and Aggravation of Pre-existing Injuries, ITLA Evidence Seminar, 2004
- Proving Damages and Jury Instructions, ITLA Evidence Seminar, 2004
- Open & Obvious -- Or Have You Forgotten?, ISBA Tort Trends, Vol. 41, No. 1, November, 2005
- Premises Liability, ISBA Annual Meeting, Tort Law Section, 2005
- Premises Liability, ISBA Annual Meeting, Civil Practice Section, 2005
- Hot Topics in Tort: Ethical Issues in Representing Minors or Incompetent Persons in Tort, ISBA, May, 2006
- Evidence Update and Review, ITLA, September, 2006
- Medical Malpractice Update and Review, ISBA, 2007
- Tort Law Legislative Update, ISBA, December, 2008
Classes & Seminars
- Adjunct Professor, Robert Morris University, 2010 - 2011
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member, 2005 – Present
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Associate, Member 2012- Present
- Vice President, Christ the King Family & School Association, 2007 - 2009
- President, Christ the King Family & School Association, 2009 - 2010
- Christ the King School Improvement Process Steering Committee, 2009 - 2010
- Coordinator and Instructor, Christ the King School Mock Trial Program, 2009 – present
- Christ the King School Advisory Board, 2013-2016
- President, Christ the King School Advisory Board 2015-2016
We offer a no-cost, no-pressure, no-obligation consultation to discuss your rights
From our offices in downtown Chicago our personal injury litigation attorneys represent clients in communities throughout Cook County and Illinois. Learn more about ways we can help you receive the compensation you need for your physical, mental, emotional, and financial recovery. Contact us today to schedule a free initial consultation.
Product Liability - Family man paralyzed in a boating injury when he fell from the upper deck of a yacht. The offer by the insurance company for the defendant was only $3 million before trial and $25 million after three weeks of jury trial, offered after closing arguments.
Lead Trial Attorney Mark McNabola and Ruth Degnan
Construction Site Negligence - A man was demonstrating construction equipment known as a “man lift," and was elevated in the air. The lift collapsed, and the plaintiff suffered permanent injuries to his ankle and lower back. McNabola represented one of two seriously injured plaintiffs. Prior to trial, the offer was only $3 million.
Lead Trial Attorney Mark McNabola